Saturday, December 15, 2007

Andy Pettitte: Yankee Hero

He came out and admitted to HGH use today.

"Everything else written or said about me knowingly using illegal drugs is nonsense, wrong and hurtful," Pettitte said. "I have the utmost respect for baseball and have always tried to live my life in a way that would be honorable. I wasn't looking for an edge; I was looking to heal.


"If I have let down people that care about me, I am sorry, but I hope that you will listen to me carefully and understand that two days of perhaps bad judgment should not ruin a lifetime of hard work and dedication.


"I have tried to do things the right way my entire life, and, again, ask that you put those two days in the proper context. People that know me will know that what I say is true."



I hate the NY Sports media.

They've painted Andy Pettitte as a cheater, a liar and a hypocrite. What exactly did he lie about? HGH is not a steroid. The effects of the two drugs are worlds apart. The fact that they are often taken in conjunction with one another means little. That's like accusing someone who drinks Red Bull of being an alcoholic. Just because Red Bull and vodka is a popular drink doesn't make Red Bull the same thing as vodka. The NY media does not understand this.

Anabolic steroids are illegal drugs and to move them across states and to sell them for non-medicinal purposes is a federal offense. HGH is not illegal.

Andy Pettitte took HGH in 2002. HGH was banned in MLB in 2005. When did it become OK to retroactively say that someone cheated? The only advantage it can confer is shedding fat and possibly speeding up recovery time, although that has yet to be proven in clinical trials.

I hate the NY sports media.

Andy Pettitte, you'll always be my hero. You'll always be one of my favorite Yankees.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, you do realize that allegations regarding Pettite's HGH usage are over a year old, and at that time he 100% denied using them. Now he admiits it. That would now make him a liar.

Stan said...

One time back in college, my proctor (not Scott) forgot to disable a feature on our computerized tests. I pulled it up and checked my entire test. I got 2 extra points on that test. It was a no-credit pass/fail course that I would've passed without the 2 points anyways.

Should there be an * next to my GPA?

I'm a cheater. A liar. A pretty good one actually. Also a murderer and an adulterer. If we were to remove from their pedestals, any hero that wasn't absolutely perfect, there'd be only one man in all of history that could stand on a pedestal.

No, I wouldn't dispute your claim. I'm just wondering how much it matters.