Friday, September 19, 2008

God Opposes The ...

An honest question for any reader:

What is pride? Specifically, what is the kind of pride that the Bible speaks about in such reprobate terms?

I am proud of myself. I am proud of the fact that I am proud.

What I mean by this is that when I consider who I am, my existence, I feel a tremendous sense of uplift and... joy. I love my life. I love the fact that I am alive. I am strong, smart, capable and after a little empirical testing, I look good. I am socially calibrated, economically secure, and internally strong. I am young and have a world of possibilities unfolding before me, like flowers before the sun of my capacity.

What should I feel in regards to this besides good?

I am happy that I have this set of circumstances with which to engage the world. Many of them are not of my own doing or action. I make no claim as such. Many have been handed to me. Others I have taken by force of will and action.

I have dignity. There are some things that I will not do. I will not beg, I will not chase, I will not ask anyone for mercy.

I often get the word "arrogant" attached to me. It's because people have this notion that I always think I'm right. That is true. When I speak or make any assertion, claim or statement, I have nothing but the utmost confidence in being correct and any contradictory statement being wrong. If I didn't believe in what I was saying, why would I have said it?

Is this the sort of opprobrium that Scripture condemns? Am I a sinner for living and believing this about myself and about how I should act?

These are honest and open, non-rhetorical questions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What do you think about Proverbs 27:2?

Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips.